I’ve received a lot of advice in my 37 years. Some good, some bad, some ridiculous; sometimes solicited, other times otherwise.
One of the best things anyone has ever told me though is,
“don’t wait – create,”
which to me translates to:
- Don’t wait – make it happen.
- Don’t wait – it won’t come to me on its own.
- Don’t wait, nothing’ll fall into my lap.
- Don’t wait – my time here is limited.
- Don’t wait – someone else will get it.
- Don’t wait – complacency kills.
Anything good for us/you/me is earned.
Don’t know what to create? Try new things. Read new books. Meet new people. Travel to new places. Call your parents. Meet with an old friend. Create new experiences.
Inspiration happens, although never on its own. You want it? Define it, seek it – go get it.
I still swing and miss. Plenty! Most times I need a push to get started because,
“I’m too tired, or it’ll take too long, or it’s too big of a risk, or …”
I’m the one on the hook for that push though – every time.
Quiet that voice that tells you to keep comfortable.
Don’t wait. Create.