I’d never heard of this place until a few years back. A friend did me a favor and met me before work to offer up some of his wisdom; he suggested “Sip on Grand.” It was out of the way for me as I lived on the north side at the time, but considering the circumstance I gladly obliged. And I’m glad I did as both the conversation and the coffee were great.
I tell no lie: one sip and I was hooked.
To be honest, all I’ve had is their house blend but it’s great. So great that I’ve turned my girlfriend and a few friends on to it, too. The service is great. The ambience is great (whether you’re inside or outside on the patio). I’ll even go out on a limb and say that I’m sure their espresso and other drinks are great.
If you’re hungry, they have pastries, parfait, oatmeal, and a variety of other food. Fruit, etc.
Some other reasons why I like it:
- It’s “local.” I’m over Starbucks. The coffee tastes burnt.
- There are great outdoor areas (two patios)
- You’ll win yourself a free cup of coffee if your name is up on the board that day (see the pic below!)
- Street parking is easy, never too hard to find a spot
- There’s a bus stop nearby if you’re a public transit junkie
- The walls are dressed with framed old-school band posters (I saw one for Pavement!) and art from local artists
- I believe they’ll give you free refills while you’re in-house
My company’s hotel office is around the corner, so I make it a point to get up and out of the house an hour early on days I work out of it to write, relax, etc., before I head in.
- Address: 1223 W Grand Ave, Chicago, IL 60642
- Hours: 7am — 7pm except on Sundays, 8am — 6pm
NOTE: they don’t take credit cards unless the bill is over $5.
Get to Sip and have yourself a … lot of sips!